I've read quite a few articles in the past few weeks about the race and ethnicity. It dawned on me that no matter how much we talk about equality and not-judging, it's always going to be around. I'm not saying it's all bad... although I am interested in hearing how people react to prejudices etc. Just tonight a friend was saying he didn't like watching asians take the mick out of themselves by looking geeky, because it's stereotyping all asians into the geeky category which is obviously not the real deal but it can appear that way. I guess the same could be said about african american and how they are often linked to hip-hop, rap and pimps... just a thought. Anyway here are a few links of articles/sites I came across recently which I found very interesting: (warning - some of the links may be quite extreme and some people may find it offensive)
- Trading Places (a reality TV show about a black and a white family changing identities for a period of time)
- Tokyo Breakfast (a comedy skit of a traditional Japanese family thinking they are black)
- All Look Same (a quiz to see if you can identify Chinese, Japanese and Koreans - I thought this was really tricky... as a Chinese I reckon I scored rather pathetically... but I guess that's the point... can you really tell the difference?)
- Crash (the multi-Oscar winning "racial drama depicting the intertwining experiences of an array of characters over 36 hours")
- This article about Paris Hilton just cracked me up... the title alone is hilarious.