Wednesday, November 17, 2010

europe - part three (münchen & brücklas)

After the short trip to Pisa, I made it back to München (Munich) and spent another five days in the city...

My München highlights:
- Attending Michaela's graduation & getting to meet her lovely German relatives. Michaela's graduation pics: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=564706&id=859840586&l=c070f1b14d
- Neuschwanstein (aka fairy tale castle)... the castle is truly magnificent. The brilliant weather also helped made the trip unforgettable
- Auto Bahn... Germany's the only country in the world that has unlimited speed limits on their freeways... Dave drove at 210kmh (and could have gone even faster had it not been for the other cars in front)
- Spotted Oliver Kahn (famous German football goalkeeper) at Nyphemburg Castle walking his dog
- Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site... the most intense and reflective birthday I have ever had
- Spending my birthday in München with my friends Michaela and Dave.

I spent a day in Brücklas, a little village in Bayern close to the border of the Czech Republic, with Rain and Alex. Rain is a friend from my HK days and it was really fantastic being able to spend time with her and see the area she has been living in for the past year and a half. I got to check out the Schnapps Museum and the county's huge minerals collection. I knew we were definitely very far away from the big city because the house was heated by woodfire, and there were piles and piles of chopped wood along the side of the house, and the next door neighbour had horses, and you could smell pigs and cows too. It felt like I was in a totally different part of the world and it was marvelous.

NB: I haven't been able to upload the rest of my European photos... hopefully will be able to do so soon.

No comments: