Thursday, September 23, 2010

toronto - part three

Kelly reckons I am now ready to move over to Toronto as I have experience quite a lot of things that only local Torontonians would have experienced.

- I celebrated the Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival in the northern hemisphere for the first time in seven years which was complete with the traditional mooncake eating, moon observing, and a delicious hotpot dinner at home. I even managed to score a free paper lantern from a lady at a Chinese supermarket in Chinatown!
- I went to IKEA and had its $2CAD breakfast (supposingly many nannas and pops can be spotted enjoying the breakfast there)
- Lisa and Kelly talked repeatedly about going to the Bass Pro Shop and that I wouldn't understand what it was until I got there... so I was very excited about checking what all the hype was about. This shop is a huge Canadian camping/hunting/fishing store full of Canadian outdoor paraphernalia... it's creepy, kitsch and hilarious at the same time. The girls and I had tonnes of fun there giggling over some of the crazy products on sale.
- Kelly's mom came over to visit from HK, and we all went over to visit Kelly's popo (grandmother) who lives in a Chinese 55+ lifestyle apartment complex, which is very like a hotel, complete with sticky-beak old ladies...
- We got pulled over by the police due to an expired rego sticker on Kelly's car, so I ended up checking out the local licensing centre to renew the rego sticker.

I also attended Chris and Nikki's wedding. Chris and Nikki are Canadians I became friends with from my dip ed course, and they have stayed in Perth ever since. They decided to have their wedding back in their homeland so they could celebrate with their families. It was great being able to catch up with my Canadian dip ed classmates, and be a part of the handful of Australians who were able to celebrate with the newlyweds. Oh, how I love my Canadian Aussies!

All in all, I have thoroughly enjoyed my three and a half weeks in Toronto. I am so glad that I was able to catch up with many friends (even bumped into one at a local church). I also appreciated the amazing hospitality shown me by my Torontonian hosts Kelly and Pat... thank you so much! I love you guys!

Currently loving:
- This video is a must-see for all the poutine lovers: Danse La Poutine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz89dO1F7fs
- my amazingly hospitable hosts Kelly and Pat
- Bass Pro Shop
- Kensington Market
- Maple sugars... crazy sweet but simply delicious
- everything about the autumn season in the northern hemisphere... there is just so much more ambience and atmosphere


outside the AGO + mid autumn festival hotpot

the beloved canadian moose + map of kensington market

Links to more pics:
Toronto - part three: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=511406&id=859840586&l=451d4f5443
Toronto - part four: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=511416&id=859840586&l=2e32fe47c2
Chris and Nikki's wedding: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=509539&id=859840586&l=c2d740ae94

No comments: